Hi! I am an Assistant Professor of Finance at the Faculty of Economics and Business (KU Leuven). My research focuses on the interactions between financial markets, new technologies and policy. As such, I am interested in (i) how new technologies transform (or not!) financial interactions and (ii) how financial constraints condition the development of new technologies.
NEW! My policy report to the European Commission on the policy challenges and opportunities of Decentralised Finance (DeFi) is available → here
2. Asset Overhang and Technological Change [→ SSRN Link | CEPR WP | VoxEU coverage ] - 2022 with Hans Degryse (KU Leuven, CEPR) and Joris Tielens (NBB) Revise and resubmit @ The Review of Financial Studies At European Banking Authority [→ Short Video Presentation] TL;DR → Technological change is not always in an investor's best interest. We formalize this asset overhang process and show its empirical relevance to the climate-banking nexus. Note : A previous version circulated as 'Banking Barriers to the Green Economy' [→ NBB WP Link] - 2020
1. Vertically Disintegrated Platforms [→ SSRN Link] - 2020 with Christoph Aymanns (QuantCo) and Mathias Dewatripont (ULB, CEPR) At EC'20 [→ Short Video Presentation] TL;DR → Distributed ledger technologies allow platforms such as payments to outsource the provisioning of their services to a market of processors. We study the design conditions for such disintegration to produce welfare gains for consumers.
4. Compressing Over-the-Counter Markets [→ Link] with Marco D'Errico (European Systemic Risk Board) Operations Research, 2021 Winner of the Ieke van den Burg Prize, 2017 [→ Video Presentation] Winner of the Best Paper at the ECMI Annual Conference, 2020 [→ Video Presentation]
3. Generalists and Specialists in the Credit Market [→ Link] with Daniel Fricke (Deutsche Bundesbank, UCL) Journal of Banking and Finance, 2020
2. Interconnectedness as a Source of Uncertainty in Systemic Risk [→ Link] with Stefano Battiston (UZH) and Joseph E. Stiglitz (Columbia) Journal of Financial Stability, 2018
1. The Price of Complexity in Financial Networks [→ Link] with Stefano Battiston (UZH), Guido Caldarelli (IMT Lucca), Robet May (Oxford) and Joseph E. Stiglitz (Columbia) Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 2016
Short journal publications and proceedings
3. Financial wealth and early income mobility [→ Link] with Milan van den Heuvel (UGhent), Koen Schoors (UGhent), and Jan Ryckebusch (UGhent) Nature Humanities & Social Sciences Communications, Nature Group, 9(1), pp.1-10., 2022
2. Vertically Disintegrated Platforms [→ Link] with Christoph Aymanns (QuantCo) and Mathias Dewatripont (ULB, CEPR) EC '20: Proceedings of the 21st ACM Conference on Economics and Computation. p.609, 2020
1. Default Cascades in Complex Networks: Topology and Systemic Risk< [→ Link] with Hugues Bersini (ULB), Hugues Pirotte (ULB), Guido Caldarelli (IMT Lucca) and Stefano Battiston (ETH) Nature Scientific Reports, 2013
4. Decentralised Finance (DeFi): information frictions and public policies [→ Link] Report prepared for the EU Commission - DG Fisma, October 2022
3. Compressing OTC Markets [→ Link] Research Bulletin - MIT Golub Centre for Finance and Policy, 2018
2. Shedding lights on dark markets: First insights from the new EU-wide OTC derivative dataset [→ Link] with Jorge Abad (CEMFI), Inaki Aldasoro (BIS), Christoph Aymanns (LSE), Marco D'Errico (UZH), Linda Fache Rousova (ECB), Peter Hoffman (ECB) and Sam Langfield (ESRB) Occasional Paper - European Systemic Risk Board, 2016
1. A Network Analysis of the German Interbank Market [→ Link] with Co-Pierre Georg (Deutsche Bundesbank) and Stefano Battiston (UZH) Discussion Paper - Deutsche Bundesbank, 2014